Thursday, January 16, 2020

Land Issues, First Part, the Quaker bit

So, let's talk Land Issues.

In the opening article on the five mechanisms that capitalism uses to hurt all people and to harm the planet and our fellow creatures, I introduced the helpful acronym, TRIP-Up.

The T stands for Theft, as discussed in the first of these articles: the Theft of the economic resources that are needed to sustain life.

Human life included.

The first of those economic resources that The Thieves stole was land: and by land I include the entire planet and all its God-given resources.

Now, since I am a Quaker (and a Christian, panentheist, PhD Chemist, grandad and so on), please allow me to speak about the G-word (God) before I talk in secular, every-day, terms.

In north America, the native peoples speak of 'The Creator, God' and, if we simply describe 'God' as The Creator of The Universe, there seem to be two strands of though. One says that, like a job-by-job building contractor, God created The Universe. And then left. To go and sit away from Us and the rest of The Creation, up in the Clouds, beyond 'His' Creation: away from us all.

The second strand of thought, and this I share, from my experience as a research and teaching chemist, is that 'God, The Creator' stayed within The Creation, everywhere, in every thing, all the time.

This is why I describe myself as a 'panentheist' (pa, everything/across all, en, within, theos, God): not pantheist (pan, everything/everywhere, God: ie everything is God: including rape, violence, Ownership, murder . . . Oh no!).

So, for me, since The Creator, God, is present within everything, everywhere, all the time, then to claim 'Ownership' of anything, ourselves included, is, not only Theft.

But Theft of God (within everything), too.

Ouch!

So, on to the secular, day-to-day, no God words, bit.

No comments: