Thursday, December 26, 2019

bit of bio

Yes Cicely Courtneidge was married to Jack Hulbert.

I believe that her father was Robert Courtneidge, a Scots actor/impressario.

My grandfather Courtneidge, as I understand it moved from Leatherhead in Surrey to Walworth in metropolitan Surrey sometime pre or post WWI.

Cicely Courtneidge lived in Herfordshire and, when I was the Chair of the Hertford and Stortford Constituency Labour Party and, also to my honour, Vice Chair of The Hertfordshire County Labour Party and (not satisfactorily in my view) Secretary of The Hertfordshire Co-operative Party, the Chair of the Broxbourne CLP (adjacent to H&S CLP and north of Enfield, Edmonton and Tottenham and a *very* white, angry BNP stronghold was a woman with, also, Courtneidge as her family name: a relative of Cicely perhaps.

Ps, when I was an active, employed research chemist, Science Citations listed only, as I recall, one other Courtneidge: a woman biologist, I think, in the US.

All happy, if difficult times!

No comments: